Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Great Pizza Caper!

I've been pretty excited about capers lately. This all started after I went to visit my brother in Denver. We went to a little Neapolitan pizzeria called Proto's. We ordered their Roman pie, which was made with mozzarella, tomato sauce, kalamata olives, capers and roasted red peppers. I have to admit, I was a little hesitant at first. Capers on pizza? I wasn't so sure about it...

OMG, was I wrong to be hesitant! It was fantastic. Something about the briny, lemony little pop of the capers with the tomato sauce and the olives just worked so well! I've seriously been having dreams about this pizza ever since. So I knew I wanted to recreate it when I got back home.

I was on my own for dinner one night and decided to make myself a little Roman pizza recreation. I started with a flour tortilla (I like to use pocketless pita breads for individual pizzas but didn't have any on hand that time) and spread on a bit of homemade pizza sauce. I topped it with turkey pepperoni, sliced black olives, an Italian cheese blend and lastly, capers. Threw it in the convection oven for 10 minutes and it came out delicious!

I'd definitely like to give it another try with kalamata olives and roasted red peppers, like I had at Proto's. As is surely the same with other people, my meals can often depend on what I've got on hand at the time. But what I can tell you for sure is that I will never think twice about capers on pizza again!

No comments:

Post a Comment