Thursday, March 3, 2011

An Oil & Vinegar Emporium

Today I visited Di Olivas, an oil and vinegar shop that just opened its second location in the town where I live. I'd heard good things about the original location but had never gotten a chance to stop by. Once I got word about the new shop, I knew it was only a matter of time before I'd make it over there.

The owner and shop assistant were so helpful and friendly. As a oil- and vinegar-tasting "virgin" (oh, you gotta love puns), I definitely had some questions. I did learn some new things while on my visit, such as the difference between white and dark balsamic vinegars. I sampled, sampled, sampled until I found my favorites.

I came out with the following:
  • Cranberry-pear balsamic vinegar
  • Strawberry balsamic vinegar
  • Sweet basil EVOO
  • Blood orange EVOO

I've already got a lot of ideas about using these, especially for salads! A strawberry balsamic-sweet basil vinaigrette would be great with a spinach and strawberry salad, but I'm thinking it'd also taste good as a reduction over chicken. However, I'm really excited about the cranberry-pear and blood orange - they taste so fantastic together! It's so good I would drink it as a cocktail. Throw a little vodka in there and you've got yourself a party! Although I can only imagine the looks I'd get when I bust out the vinegar as a mixer. The college kids already think I'm crazy just for drinking wine at parties. But I digress...

Oils and vinegars make up the majority of their inventory, but Di Olivas also sells a selection of specialty pastas, tapenades, salts and olive oil-based hair and skin care products.

On my way out the door, the shop assistant said to me, "I have a feeling you'll be back."

I have a feeling I will be, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment